January 28, 2015

DOCTOR'S DEATH LEAVES SPACE


The doctor's fine, deft fingers worked with rapid, careful precision to close the gaping wound above my 8-month-old daughter's right eye.

Tawny yet clinically scrubbed to a whiteness of nail and knuckle, there was something incredibly gentle in the hands that stitched, in one continuous length of thread, a cut at least three quarters of an inch long.

And the voice!  It was quick to the point, and business-like, yet softened by a reverence for life that even little Julie seemed to sense.  In a moment she had ceased her frenzied struggle against the tight, blue canvas "papoose board" that immobilized her in the emergency ward at Humana Davis North Hospital.

One, two, three, four, five stitches.  And the doctor was gone to the side of another accident victim in another room.

Fascinated by the clean line of stitching he had secured by just two knots, I chatted momentarily with a nurse.

"You'll hardly see a scar," she said, handing a pineapple "Dum Dum" lollypop to my baby and a list of wound care instructions to me. "You were lucky to have had Dr. Amano."

I thought about that the other day, when word reached me of the untimely death of Dr.  Joe Amano.  I thought about what she'd said and about what I, myself, had come to know of the kind-eyed doctor who had first treated me as a little girl with an earache at the old Clearfield Clinic on Center Street.

Dr. Amano was a man who knew what had to be done and did it.  And if he couldn't help you, he'd find someone who could.  He checked things and then double-checked.  He always remembered you--asked about little things you'd thought he would have forgotten.

He was a busy man, busy with medical affiliations and offices, and yet you could still expect to see him at PTA meetings, places like that  He was honest and he cared

With stethoscope in hand, he served northern Utah for more than 26 years, listening to the heartbeat of a clientele who loved him.

Because he had been my parents' doctor, my doctor, and my children's doctor, I felt a need to pay him tribute.  Yet with all my flourishes of pen, I could find no more appropriate, more eloquent praise than the simple observation of one nurse who knew his work:  "You were lucky to have had Dr. Amano."



Note:  I edited and posted this old column to my blog upon reading that after so many years, Dr. Amano's wife Norma had passed away.  http://www.standard.net/Obituaries/2014/12/03/Norma-Hamatake-Amano