January 20, 2014

STRESS? JUST GET ORGANIZED

"The key to managing stress is an organized approach to self improvement," I told my husband right after New Years Day.   "This year I really am going to get my life in order."

"Here we go again," Dave replied in the tone of voice he usually reserves for condolences.   "The last time you got organized, our youngest kid redecorated the kitchen with A-1 Sauce, strawberry jam, and everything else she could drag out of the fridge, every time you took your 9 a.m. shower."

"So, I had a little problem with scheduling.  This time I'll take my shower before Julie even gets up."

"You mean we're back to rise and shine at 4:30 in the morning?"

"Well, not exactly.  You can sleep in 'til 5, if you want to."

"You've got to be kidding!  Even a sloth couldn't sleep through fifteen minutes of 'Carmen' sung to the rhythm of running shower water."

"When else can I practice my singing?"

"How about five minutes after I leave for work?"

"No go.  That time slot is reserved for meditation."

"Couldn't you meditate over lunch?"

"Uh, uh!  That's when I plan to study German."

"You're going to study German with a mouthful of cottage cheese and pineapple?"

"Yes, that should augment the guttural sounds."

"If guttural is what you want, why don't you sprechen your deutsch during your afternoon exercise routine?"

"Can't!  I'll be folding laundry between intervals."

"I don't suppose you could fold our clothes any other time?"

"Nope, I've got every minute planned down to each sweep of the second hand.  I'm going to be so organized this time you won't recognize me.  Stress over not enough hours in the day is going to be a thing of the past."

"Are you sure you have to do this?"

"It's the only way."

"But what about me? Where do I fit into this great organizational plan of yours?"

"Right here.  Right now," my words came out in sobs. "I've scheduled twenty minutes for you to talk me out of it!"

*****

I love these two ideas for saving time while cooking or getting ready for the day:

Hang a clear vinyl shoe holder on the inside of your pantry or toy closet door to organize small items.  Great for stowing cords and cables in Hubby's office



A double-sided jewelry caddy makes finding necklaces and earrings quickly easy.