January 12, 2014

SO MUCH FOR MY NEW YEAR'S DIET!

Dear Ellen,

So sorry I can't accept your luncheon invitation for Monday.  You see, I always start my diet on the first day of the week.

However, if you would consider giving me a rain check, I'd be glad to come on any Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.

Fridays are out of the question, because I have my Mexican cooking class at noon.  On Saturdays, my husband takes me out to Golden Corral.  And, of course, there's church each Sunday, after which my in-laws always come for dinner--this week it's baked ham with raisin sauce, cheesy potatoes, French-fried onion rings, and banana cream pie. 

And then we're back to Monday again, which is absolutely impossible, unless you're open to some suggestions for healthy choices that won't jeopardize my New Year's resolution to lose weight.

For example, cantaloupe balls make a wonderful low-fat appetizer.  We could eat them a la mode and not feel the least bit guilty if we followed up with a grapefruit juice chaser.

My Aunt Bertha has the most refreshing recipe.  She whisks in some brown sugar and then runs it through a strainer to get rid of any remaining high-calorie lumps.  Just one glass will purify your system and burn off any fat molecules that make it to your intestines.

I’d be glad to bring my ham-less hoagies for the main course. With enough cheese and mayo on the buns, we’ll never even miss the meat.
 
What about lite éclairs for dessert?  Yes, although you leave out the custard filling, the extra-creamy chocolate glaze is just divine.

But, tell me--what will everyone be wearing?  Would my jersey tent dress do?  You know the dark knit with vertical stripes and leg of mutton sleeves?

Still, if you insist on serving your famous Hawaiian chicken with honey and cashews, I’ve got a really awesome muumuu I could wear...


Got a really awesome muumuu I could wear!