My teenage daughter studies with the radio turned up so high her teeth rattle.

"Music that loud can hurt your ears," I shout above the beat of her favorite rock song.

"I'll let you know if I feel any pain," she drawls.

"What I mean is, loud noise levels can cause a loss of hearing."

"Could you speak a little louder, please?"

"YOUR BOOM BOX IS TOO LOUD!"

"There's no such thing as a too-loud boom box," she responds. "Unless of course, you're listening to elevator music. I can't stand loud elevator music. Reminds me of the dentist's chair."

Since that girl's last visit to the dentist with its astronomical bill for the repair of rattled teeth is something neither of us wants to remember, I try another tack.

"Statistically speaking, you're probably not going to retain much of anything you study with all that racket going on."

"Who wants to retain this stuff? I just want to get it done." She's really on one now, "I mean, who's going to care ten years from now if I know the difference between mitosis and acidosis?"

"So just where do you intend to be in ten years?" I ask.

"Walking down some runway in France," she dreams. "I'm going to make a million dollars modeling designer clothes and then buy you the beautiful house you deserve, with gorgeous furniture and your own sound-proof room."

What can I say except, "Gee, Honey!" and "Well, out of consideration for our neighbors who don't have sound-proof rooms, would you mind turning down your radio a little bit today?"

"OK." She gives the volume dial a long twist to the right and then turns up the bass.
I shake my head. She's a good girl, really. Never gives us an ounce of trouble, just a couple zillion decibels of noise.





October 5, 1995
"Rain or Shine"
The Deseret News