July 15, 2014

WHAT TO DO WITH ALL THE ZUCCHINI



Well, folks, it’s time for my annual “Whatever Shall We Do With All This Zucchini?” column.  The following is a representative sampling from my mailbag:


Dear Sharon,
My wife is into zucchini facial masks.  Every night I go to bed with a vegetable salad.
                                                   --Sleeping with the Green Goddess
Dear Sleeping,
Count your blessings.  At least she hasn’t heard about the latest thing in garlic masks. 
 
Dear Sharon,
Why would my husband insist on using a 10-pound zucchini for a fly swatter?
--Bugged
Dear Bugged,
What else does one do with a vegetable called “squash?”

Dear Sharon,
Is it true that local restaurants will take your zucchini?
                                                         --Diner                                                                        
Dear Diner,
Yes, to use as doorstops!

Dear Sharon,
I keep dreaming that I’m being chased by a giant zucchini.  Any suggestions?
--Exhausted
Dear Ex,
Run--do not walk, to the nearest Hollywood producer.  Sounds like a great sequel to The Killer Tomatoes!

Dear Sharon,
My son insists on playing Zucchini Frisbee. Our walls are full of holes.
--Boomerang’s Mom
Dear Boom,
One cup mashed zucchini mixed with ½ cup Elmer’s Glue makes a dandy patching plaster.

Dear Sharon,
Every time I give my neighbor two zucchinis, she gives me back four.
--Bread Upon the Waters  
Dear Bread,
Try giving her other “greens,” like, say, dollar bills.

Dear Sharon,
Is it true that consumption of zucchini inhibits the aging process? 
--Ponce de Leon                                                               
Dear Ponce,
It’s worked for me.  I’ve been 29 for decades.

Dear Sharon,
Can too much zucchini be hazardous to your health?
--Veggie                                                                            
Dear Veggie,
Only when fired from projectile weapons.

Dear Sharon,
I’ve got zucchini coming out of my ears.
--Dumbo
Dear Dumb,
Quick, put it back in.  That way you won’t have to keep giving it away.




Best doorstop ever!