July 3, 2014

BIRDS OF A DIFFERENT FEATHER


“Thanks for breakfast,” Dave said cheerfully as he got ready for work.  I had crept back into the warm security of blankets and bed after propping my uncooperative eyelids open with toothpicks just long enough to prepare the requested Eggs Benedict for my early rising spouse.

Now, with both eyes squinting against the incendiary brilliance of the overhead light, I mumbled something about people who can’t tell day from night.

Choosing to ignore such yawning petulance, my lighthearted husband stood there by the dresser tying a meticulous knot in a yellow-spangled tie and whistling the kind of ditty that sounds downright unnatural at 5 o’clock in the morning.

“Of course,” he ended his tune with an amused reproach, “poached oatmeal with Hollandaise sauce is an unusual topping for English muffins.  Didn't know whether to add ketchup or brown sugar.  But I have to admit that substituting bologna for the ham was an ingenious bit of economy.”

Tie knotted, my better half bent down to kiss me “goodbye”.  Then slinging a jaunty, navy blazer across one shoulder, he left for work.

“Oh, what a beautiful morning!”  I could hear him singing as he went.

“Why is it that owls always marry larks?”  I muttered. 

By now it would be impossible to recapture the plump appeal of my pillow.  So, wandering aimlessly into the bathroom, I examined my haggard face in the medicine cabinet mirror. Still groggy, I turned on the cold water tap and stuck my head beneath the icy flow. 

After a few moments, I reached for a nearby tube of liquid Prell shampoo and methodically washed my hair with Crest Mint Gel.
Dave, back in the day when he was a lark and I was an owl.       
 Now we are both owls and larks.  Just can't stay awake in between!