April 10, 2014

BUNNY PICKS GOOD (BAD?) TIME TO DIE



At first it seemed ironic that Bryan Midnight, our silky little Dutch bunny, should choose to die just one week before Easter. 

We found him huddled in the corner of his cage, fur unruffled—his nose still warm.  He could have been asleep.

But he was dead, and there was nothing to do but find a gentle way to tell our children that their little friend would never again nip bits of lettuce from their fingertips or bounce around after our other household pet pretending that he, too, was a dog.

“Maybe we should just open the cage door,” I said, “and let them think he hopped away.”

“No,” my husband replied, “It’s better for them to know for sure where he is than to always have to wonder.”

I lined an old shoebox with a satin pillowcase; my husband tucked the tiny creature in.

We gathered the children around, and I began tentatively, the way my own mother had so long ago when my puppy died.  “I hate to have to tell you this…”

Tears trickled down our oldest daughter’s cheeks.  Another child raised his face as if to speak, then bit his lip before a word or sob escaped.

The baby blew bubbles and patty-caked, while our 3-year-old eyed the contents of the box with intense curiosity.

Then our 5-year-old summed the situation up with simple eloquence:  “Bryan Midnight’s going to heaven,” she said.  “He’ll be there by Easter.”

Bryan Midnight's on his way to Heaven.