February 12, 2014

WAR IN THE CABBAGE PATCH

The tug-of-war began the moment Christie unwrapped her birthday Cabbage Patch preemie doll and escalated to hysterical squeals, shrieks, and grunts.

It seemed that Julie, just 17 months younger than the 4-year-old birthday girl, wanted joint custody of the pudgy, google-eyed Xavier Roberts creation that lay with its amphibian-like, pooched out cheeks and bald pate in her older sister's arms.

As the battle intensified, I was mystified.  This was a doll whose face was like no newborn human I had ever seen.  By comparison, even the most wrinkly, red-faced infant would look downright cherubic. 

Somewhat ruefully, I remembered the first time I'd seen the words Cabbage Patch connected with a doll.  Just one year earlier, in a local supermarket, at least 20 of the pot-bellied orphans had been waiting for adoption on the shelf above the store's produce bins.

"They'll never sell," I'd told my husband back when you could become a Cabbage Patch parent for a mere $25.

Within three days the shelf was empty, and the homely dolls were selling for upwards of a hundred bucks to anyone "lucky" enough to be the first one answering a classified ad.

Now, some twelve months later, my two youngest daughters lay in their shared bed.  Christie's arms were locked possessively around the funny-looking toy, while Julie gazed with covetous eyes at her sister's birthday prize.

Pulling up the corner of the bedspread to wipe away Julie's tears, I tried to sympathize. "You want to share Christie's Cabbage Patch doll," I said.

For a moment Julie looked surprised.  "No," she set the record straight.  "I want to share her Cabbage Patch fwog!"



Imagse from All Things Clipart


 Click on the link below for a darling infant-sized Cabbage Patch hat pattern: