February 10, 2014

TV CREATES ITS OWN ZOMBIES



“And now,” the mad scientist in an old, horror flick said with a diabolical twist to his plastic, putty lips, “I shall play out my scheme to turn all humans into ravenous, glassy-eyed zombies!”
 
“Are you getting hungry?” With acute lack of timing, I had chosen that exact moment to query my 6-year-old son Michael who sat cross-legged in front of the television set.  As he waited for a horde of walking dead to stagger across the screen, that little boy didn’t even look my way; he merely raised his hand, palm out and fingers splayed, in a gesture that could only mean SILENCE!

“With all mankind under my power, I shall be in position to take over the whole world,” the seedy looking madman laughed.

“Honey, would you rather have tacos or spaghetti for supper tonight?”  This time I addressed my husband Dave who sat on the edge of his leather easy chair, looking anything but easy.  Glancing from father to son, I marveled at how much alike they were.  From their pale blond hair to the way they both watched with clenched fists and open mouths, they could have been clones.

 “I’ll take the pizza,” my spouse mumbled without blinking.  Meanwhile, the caricature on screen began foaming at the mouth in anticipation of seeing his hideous scheme carried out.

“Gentlemen,” I employed my most patient voice, “which topping would you prefer on your pizza—chopped grasshopper knuckles or deviled caterpillar warts?  And do you want your salad hard-boiled or french-fried?”

“That’ll be just fine,” Dave grunted, while Mike managed a slight bobbling of the chin that I took to be an “uh huh.”

By then, the film’s cameramen had begun a panoramic sweep inside a crowded supermarket.  From the number of shoppers in the store, the scene could have only been staged the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving.  Bumper-to-bumper shopping carts jammed every aisle, each cart manned by a lurching automaton with glassy, ravenous eyes.  Even the lobsters in the Pick-Your-Own-Seafood Dinner tank were in zombie-like trance.

“All the world is mine!” the villainous scientist ranted, after which huge, white letters spelling out THE END were superimposed across his heaving chest.

Retreating to the kitchen, I could hear Michael and his Dad discussing the film.

“There’s no such thing as zombies,” Mikey said.

“Couldn’t ever be,” his dad agreed.

Each cart was manned by a lurching automaton with glassy, ravenous eyes.