December 3, 2013

‘TIS THE SEASON FOR EXTRAVAGANCE

“You bought yourself a what?”   My husband’s eyes grew rounder than Christmas baubles when I unpacked one festive parcel from my latest shopping trip.

“A doll,” I said evenly.  “I bought myself a doll.”  Crinkling back a corner of rose-colored cellophane, I stroked a shiny lock of rooted hair and touched a dimpled, rubber cheek.

“I suppose Santa Claus is going to leave it in your stocking Christmas Eve?”  Dave couldn't quite disguise the dryness in his voice.

“In my stocking,” I quietly affirmed.

He changed his tactics and his tone when I began to giggle like a child.  “It was crowded at the mall?”

“Not bad,” I laughed, ignoring his attempt to attach meaning to his wife’s absurd behavior.

“Well,” if you had to buy yourself a present,” he tried to understand, “why didn't you get something practical like an iron or a mixer or a mop?”

“That’s just it,” I tried hard to make him see.  “I didn't even need this doll.”

He opened his mouth again as if to speak, then changed his mind and sighed.

Gently, ever so gently, I drew the controversial doll out of its box and sniffed the vinyl newness of its skin.

This is actually a treasured, porcelain doll my mother made for me
 long before Alzheimer's robbed her of her many creative gifts.

Household Tip--This Christmas give yourself the gift of organization:

I like the inexpensive, double-sided caddy on the left below better than my large, wooden jewelry armoire. It keeps necklaces, earrings, and bracelets together in a convenient, highly visible place right by my bathroom vanity.  Since most of my jewelry is inexpensive, I'd don't need to worry about locking it up. 

On the right is an ordinary over-the-door shoe organizer I purchased for under $10.  Hanging inside my pantry door, it keeps pouches of cooking mixes, chocolate chips, and other small items where I can find them without rummaging through the cupboard or a drawer.  I also have one hanging on the inside of my toy closet door--filled with containers of bubbles, crayons, matchbox cars, etc.  My grand kids and I can easily find small items without tearing the whole closet apart.  In the toy closet, games, puzzles, and large boxed items are stored on edge like books rather than stacked on the shelves.  That way you can remove one item without lifting others off the top of it.

Jewelry and Shoe Caddies