December 15, 2013

CHRISTMAS LIST STRIKES FEAR IN MOTHER’S HEART

“Mom, I’ve got my Cwistmas list weady,” 4-year-old Michael announced, handing me a tattered napkin inscribed with crayoned markings that could have been sacred hieroglyphics for all the importance he attached to them.

“Let’s see,” I said hopefully, “it says here that since Mikey has been mostly pretty good this year, he thinks he’s entitled to one sack of marbles and a new yoyo.”

Fat chance!  Michael, who religiously watches Saturday morning cartoons, between all the kid-targeted commercials, had higher expectations.

“No, Mommy, that’s not what I wote,” he protested, transforming every r into a w.  “What I weally want is a 10-speed. “

“But, Son, you’re not even 5-years-old.  Your legs are too short for a big bike like that.”

“That’s okay,” he had it figured out.  “I don’t want to have to wait awound for one when I finally gwo.”

Next on the list—my hands began to shake as I calculated the financial impact of such requests multiplied by the dreams of six children—was a television.

“Little Guy,” I hedged, “what would you do with TV? We already have two!”

“I’d put it in my bedwoom so I could play with my Atari there.”

“Honey, you don’t even have an Atari!”

“I was just getting to that,” he cut me off.

That’s when I wiped cold sweat from my forehead with the napkin list and handed it back to him.

“Young Man,” I said, “it’s probably time for you to get a job!" 

Stacee and Mikey in the days before big-ticket items became a part of their holiday expectations.

*****

Chore Jars



Chore jars are a simple way to encourage kids' participation in household tasks, especially when they are trying to earn a little extra money. Enlist their help in making the jars and deciding which chores to include.

Materials:

  • 1 jar to hold possible chores
  • 1 jar for for each child
  • colored Popsicle sticks  
  • black Sharpie pen
  • sticky labels
  • paper 

  1. With your children's help, create a list of chores they are capable of completing.
  2. Agree on an amount of money for each completed task.
  3. Label the first jar, "Chores" and each remaining jar with a child's name. If desired, allow each child to decorate his name label.
  4. Write each task and the worth of  that chore on a Popsicle stick. Color code the Popsicle sticks to make selecting a chore easier. For example, chores listed on green Popsicle sticks might be worth 50 cents. Jobs listed on red sticks might be worth a dollar. 
  5. Put all the sticks in the "Chores" jar.  Each child must do a minimum of one chore (or any number you decide upon as a family) each day. They can do more, but one is the minimum. Once they have performed that chore, they put the stick with that chore written on it in their jar.
  6. At the end of the week, add up the money each child has earned and give her/him the amount earned.
Note:  Some parents like to encourage children to do certain tasks without pay.  For example, every child might be responsible for clearing his/her own plate from the kitchen table after meals.  Placing coats and shoes in the mud room as a child enters the home might also be an unpaid expectation.