November 30, 2013

MOM DECKED OUT FOR CARPOOL DUTY (Plus a Household Hint)

“Mom, you must be really mad at Mrs. Jones,” eleven-year-old Jennifer pipes up as I drive the kids to school.

There’s nothing that girl misses.  From the rear-view mirror, I see her huddled with her siblings in the backseat, a bemused smirk upon her face.

“Mad at Mrs. Jones?” I exclaim. “Now, Jennifer, why would you say a thing like that?  You saw me wave at Mrs. J.”

“Yeah, you waved at her, and she waved back. Then you both ducked your heads and looked the other way.”

“Of course we ducked our heads.  Neither Laura Jones nor I had time to comb our hair this morning, and according to the code…”

“According to what code?”

“Why, the code of the Bathrobe Brigade.”

“Bathroom Brigade?  Come on, Mom, I thought you were the only mother around who drove her kids to school without getting dressed!”

“No, Honey,” I say, pulling further into the school parking lot, “You see Mrs. Smith over there?” 
Jennifer’s eyes follow my pointing finger to a snow-covered mini-van crammed with about twenty children.  “Notice how she doesn't get out in the snow to pry the kids out?  She’s got her bedroom slippers on for sure.

“Then there’s Mrs. Green up ahead. She is getting out of her car, but she’s got her husband’s trench coat on.  You can bet your lunch money she’s wearing PJ's underneath.

“Now notice Mrs. Hansen just leaving the drop-off loop.  See how carefully she’s maneuvering her Ford.  There’s no way on earth she’s gonna’ risk being pulled over by some cop and get arrested for indecent exposure!”

“Oh, you’re putting us on!” Jennifer protested.

“No, I’m not.  I’m putting you out.  The school bell’s already ringing.”

“Well, Mom, I just hope you don’t have car trouble going home.”

Even as the children wave goodbye, my palms grow clammy, and my heart begins to pound. 

The four blocks to our house have never seemed so long.  

When, finally, I ease into our driveway, I  turn off the ignition and scan the neighborhood.  Making sure the coast is clear, I make a bee-line to the house.

***

Today's household hint:  When making popcorn balls, let popcorn mixture cool until touchable.  Then slide your hand inside a clear plastic gift bag, grab a handful of coated corn, and pull the bag back over the popcorn. Shape the corn into a ball and tie the bag with a piece of raffia, ribbon, or bridal illusion. Repeat for each popcorn ball.

My kids like this easy, colorful recipe.

JELLO POPCORN BALLS adapted from COOKS.COM

1 c. white syrup
1 c. sugar
1 (3 oz.) pkg. Jello, any flavor
9 c. popped popcorn

Bring sugar and syrup to boil; reduce heat. Add Jello; stir until dissolved. Pour over popcorn. Butter hands and make into balls or use the bagging method described above.

Turn bag inside out
and insert hand.
Grab and shape handfuls of popcorn.
Then pull bag over popcorn right side out .
 Tie bag with  raffia, ribbon,
or bridal illusion as shown