October 8, 2014

HALLOWEEN'S A MONSTER



One Halloween, Mother turned the rag bag inside out, holding up for my inspection the lint-flecked navy wool from Daddy’s sailor days and the rhinestone-sprinkled circle skirt she’d worn ten years before on New Year’s Eve.

I finally settled for a gaudy, paisley shift, cinched tight around the middle with a flamboyant silk scarf. A knotted string of cut-glass beads and a pair of clinking Mason jar rings dangling from one ear made me a fairly authentic gypsy, Mama said.

I stood patiently as she rubbed my cheeks with lipstick over cold cream, taking care to feather out the edges, before adding an eyebrow-penciled beauty mark for good luck.

That was then.  Now, I rummage for my own kids’ costumes, but somehow their father’s cast-off baseball jersey and their mom’s satin bridesmaid dress will not do for youngsters set on extorting treats by virtue of their striking similarity to space-age spooks like Darth Vader and E.T.

It was bad enough when Michael hacked my flexible dryer venting hose in two for the arms of the robot he aspired to be.


And I could barely cope when Jennifer dismantled the kitchen stove so she could use the door for the head of her computer creature costume.



But when Stacee left the goldfish in the toilet with a “Do Not Flush” sign, so she could borrow his bowl for her astronaut suit helmet, I was the one who went into orbit.



Moments later, three space-age spooks timidly attempted to break the glassy-eyed silence I maintained.

“What are you going to be for Halloween?” I heard my children ask.

“A basket case,” they heard their mother say!

!
Matt and Mike back in the day when creating a Halloween costume didn't involve dismantling the house.

So this little spook had a bit too much candy!